- Flag: The French tricolored flag consists of three vertical bands of equal width. Blue and red are the colors of Paris, while white represents the Royal House of Bourbon. The colors also symbolize liberty, equality and fraternity — the ideals of the French Revolution.
- Total Area: 211,209 sq mi (547,030 sq km)
- Government: Fifth republic
- Languages: French (official) 100%, rapidly declining regional dialects and languages (Provencal, Breton, Alsatian, Corsican, Catalan, Basque, Flemish)
- Religion: Christian (overwhelmingly Roman Catholic) 63-66%, Muslim 7-9%, Jewish .5-.75%, Buddhist .5-.75%, other .5-1.0%, none 23-28%
- Date/s visited: May 2014 (4 days)
- A detour to Château de Voltaire, home to “the innkeeper of Europe” (Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes)